XComposite and GLX

Ralph Thomas ralpht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 23:24:02 PDT 2004

I don't know if this is helpful or not (as I don't know GLX server
internals), but couldn't you get GL programs to render off-screen by
creating a pbuffer with the same fbconfig as the visual of the
on-screen window, and then make the context current with the pbuffer
instead of the window?

If you can get something that looks like an XPixmap (representing your
off-screen window) located in video card memory, then you might be
able to create something like a GLXPixmap for it. This would allow you
to do mixed mode X/GL rendering.

Ralph