Minimizing X.org 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Matthew Allum mallum at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 11:49:18 PDT 2004

Hi;

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:13:37 -0400, Sergei Mutovkin <msergei at gmail.com>

> Requirements:
> - Run Kylix 3 developed application (Kylix 3 is based on Qt 2.3.0)
> - Support Touchscreen (Elotouch AccuTouch), mouse, keyboard
> - Have some basic support for S3 Savage chip
> - Run in minimal possible memory
> - Start instantly
> - Occupy least amount of space on HDD
>
> As far as I researched the Kylix requirement makes it impossible to
> use KDrive (though I didn't test).

Kdrive should work fine. Its really a *much* better option on embedded
type stuff.

You may need to add a driver for your touchscreen, but this would be
trivial assuming there is an existing driver to work from. I believe
the kdrive savage backend needs some updating but fb backend may be
fast enough already for you.

Also you can build libX11 from CVS without xlocale or xcms which will
halve its size.

You should be able to get a Server and xlibs in about 1.5Mb. I've had
a kernel, busybox, X, WM and rxvt running on a 4Mb flash disk before.

   -- Matthew