Minimizing X.org 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Sergei Mutovkin msergei at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:13:37 PDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into the ways to minimize X.org 6.8.1 just to be able to
run bare minimum,
I think this is an interesting question since in many places on the
web where similar question was asked this question got unanswered.

Requirements:
- Run Kylix 3 developed application (Kylix 3 is based on Qt 2.3.0)
- Support Touchscreen (Elotouch AccuTouch), mouse, keyboard
- Have some basic support for S3 Savage chip
- Run in minimal possible memory
- Start instantly
- Occupy least amount of space on HDD

As far as I researched the Kylix requirement makes it impossible to
use KDrive (though I didn't test). Also I can not use Framebuffer
absolutely, since the RealTime application running at the background
gets totally broken (no longer proper timing).

I have attached my build script that compiles X.org and creates
Slackware package. Inside I have host.def file definition, in which I
tried to define not to compile (use) any of the extensions I found in
"cf' folder.

Currently I get ~83Mb /usr/X11R6 folder and empty X (with TWM) is
close to 40Mb of RAM, according to 'top'. I would really, really want
to cut those 40Mb as much as possible and also improve current ~5+sec
start time for X...

Just for reference my system is LFS 5.1.1 with some small
modifications running on TimeSys Linux 2.4.18 RTOS kernel.

Thank you very much in advance,
Sergei