COMPOUND_TEXT versus UTF8_STRING

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 22 09:31:43 PDT 2004

Around 14 o'clock on Sep 22, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Can we simply allow the use of UTF8_STRING in properties such as
> WM_NAME, WM_ICON_NAME and WM_CLIENT_MACHINE in a future version of the
> ICCCM?

Yes, I believe we have that ability.  Section 4.1.2.1 specifies the
encoding used for (e.g.) the WM_NAME property and refers to section 2.7.1
which calls out STRING and COMPOUND_TEXT as known encodings, but only uses
them as examples of the class of text encodings which, listed in section
2.6.2 where it says 'It is expected that this table will grow over time'.

However, given the presense of the EWMH conventions, it may be more
practical to just accept those as the way we do UTF8 properties; any
transition strategy will have to support both methods in any case.

-keith