Strawman licensing policy

Donnie Berkholz spyderous at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 21 19:58:20 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:57, Alan Cox wrote:
> Don't even cut and paste one character if you are in the USA
>
> http://www.out-law.com/php/page.php?page_id=allrapsamplesmust1094739438&area=news
>
> Just in case anyone decides it is "sampling".

Just in case that wasn't tongue-in-cheek:
I don't really think that's related, because there are a nearly infinite
number of ways to create music. There may be only one reasonable way to
set bits.

Therefore, the bit-setting doesn't involve much choice (and therefore
creativity), although the music-composing does. As a result, only the
composing is copyrightable.
--
Donnie Berkholz
Gentoo Linux