DRM radeon i2c support and GPL

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 02:48:05 PDT 2004

On Maw, 2004-09-21 at 08:58, Kean Johnston wrote:
> That's not a statement thats safe to make. BSD (or any other OS
> that XOrg supports) may not have Linux's I2C driver system. TODAY.
> What if, next week, BSD gets such a beast, or HP-UX does, or

Well they can't use the low level Linux code anyway, because its GPL
licensed and likely to stay that way.

> If XOrg is trying to be "license agnostic", it is going to need
> to stay away from the GPL. The current MIT style license seems to
> be quite acceptable to GPL-centric projects. However, the reverse
> is not (always) true.

Thats a shame. I guess its time to take DRI back out of the Xorg tree if
this kind of extremist view is the preferred one, or just keep the
kernel code in the Linux kernel and remove it from X.org ?