DRM radeon i2c support and GPL

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Tue Sep 21 03:00:59 PDT 2004

Le mar 21/09/2004 à 09:58, Kean Johnston a écrit :
> > I picked a very simple piece of code to start out with as a test case.
> > The I2C code is only a hundred lines and could be rewritten. But
> > what's the point, BSD doesn't have Linux's I2C driver system. This
> > code has no value anywhere but on Linux.
> That's not a statement thats safe to make. BSD (or any other OS
> that XOrg supports) may not have Linux's I2C driver system. TODAY.
> What if, next week, BSD gets such a beast, or HP-UX does, or
> Solaris or whatever. Maybe now that code that is currently only
> of value on Linux is of value on a broad range of systems.

My understanding is that if/when BSDs (and others) implement an I2C
system, it'll probably be compatible with the Linux one from the
userspace side (i.e. the syscalls will have the same semantics) but
certainly not from the kernel side: there's not point for them to be
compatible with the Linux architecture as they can't import its drivers.

I don't the DRM drivers, but if they use I2C from the kernel side
there's not point in licensing that code for multiplatform.

	Xav