X.org 6.8 upgrade - glxinfo with fglrx driver crashes X ?

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 20 09:54:25 PDT 2004

Osho GG wrote:

> I just updated to X.org 6.8 using SuSE 9.1's RPMs. I have ATI Mobility
> FireGL2 graphics card. If I use radeon driver with 6.8, direct
> rendering is disabled and render acceleration is disabled as well. If
> I enable composite acceleration it is extremely slow. xcompmgr is
> extremely slow.

Right.  That chip is based on the R300 architecture, and there is no 3D
acceleration in the open-source drivers.  You aren't using a Thinkpad
T41p by any chance, are you? ;)

> I tried using ATI's latest (3.12) drivers to enable 3d acceleration.
> If dri is enabled then doing glxinfo immediately crashes X server. If
> I disabled dri with ATI's drivers - well then I don't see much of a
> point of using it.

I'm also seeing this with ATI's drivers and an aging Radeon 8500LE.
Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?  The drivers are built
for XFree86 4.3.  Was there some internal API change since then that's
causing the problem?