DRM radeon i2c support and GPL

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Sep 20 09:29:30 PDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 12:08, Jon Smirl wrote:
> No GPL code doesn't make sense for the Linux drivers. The only place
> Linux drivers can be used is in a GPL environment. For example there
> is a 600 line sysfs support skeleton file I want to include. This file
> is intended to be brought into a driver and then edited. It is a
> complete waste of time recoding and redebugging that file just to make
> it BSD compatible when the code won't even run on BSD.

License compatibility != OS compatibility, please don't conflate the two.  X
runs on more than just Linux, and source is distributed as an aggregate.  If
it's really that big of a deal, ask the author of the GPL code to allow you
to add it to DRM under an X-friendly license.

Yes, I think it's silly too.

- ajax