ATI Radeon woes

Steve Brenneis sbrenneis at surry.net
Sun Sep 19 17:46:22 PDT 2004

I hope this is the right place to ask this...

I am attempting to use Xorg 6.7.0 on my Linux 2.4.26 system. The system
is running on a dual 800 MHz Pentium-III Intel motherboard with 1GB of
memory. The video card is an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR (Radeon 7200). My
kernel has MTRR support, ATI agpgart support, and DRI support for the
Radeon built in.

Xorg -configure generated the xorg.conf file shown below. This file
works fine as is and startx starts a 640 x 480 desktop (I'm using
fluxbox window manager). I can add a "DefaultDepth 24" to the screen
section and all is still well. However, if I add a Modes line to the 24
depth section that has anything other than "640x480" in it, the system
crashes, as in time to press the reset button. The system and kernel
logs do not indicate a kernel panic (or anything else, for that matter).
The system appears to simply stop.

I have tried changing the video driver to "radeon" with the same result
and I have also tried using the 16-bit color depth, same result. This
happens when running X directly or from startx.

I am at a loss here and would greatly appreciate any help in solving
this. If someone has any suggestion for what I might try, I am game for
just about anything. I know there are several options for the ATI
driver, but blindly attempting permutations didn't seem to be a
productive idea.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

xorg.conf.new generated by Xorg -configure:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
EndSection
                                                                                                                             Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac8Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ForcePCIMode"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "BusType"                   # [<str>]
        #Option     "CPPIOMode"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CPusecTimeout"             # <i>
        #Option     "AGPMode"                   # <i>
        #Option     "AGPFastWrite"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "AGPSize"                   # <i>
        #Option     "GARTSize"                  # <i>
        #Option     "RingSize"                  # <i>
        #Option     "BufferSize"                # <i>
        #Option     "EnableDepthMoves"          # [<bool>]
        #Option     "EnablePageFlip"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoBackBuffer"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "PanelOff"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DDCMode"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "MonitorLayout"             # [<str>]
        #Option     "IgnoreEDID"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "OverlayOnCRTC2"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CloneMode"                 # [<str>]
        #Option     "CloneHSync"                # [<str>]
        #Option     "CloneVRefresh"             # [<str>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "DisplayPriority"           # [<str>]
        #Option     "PanelSize"                 # [<str>]
        #Option     "ForceMinDotClock"          # <freq>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "ati"
        VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
        BoardName   "Radeon R100 QD [Radeon 7200]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"