Fonts and XKB problems

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Sep 18 23:10:42 PDT 2004

Some more details about the Xkb issue:

I had XkbRules set to "xfree86", switched to "xorg" instead, same problem, except that I
now get an additional error from gnome on boot (see below).

I also tested the macintosh/us keymap that comes with xorg instead of my hacked "fr" one
and I have the same problem (both no VT switch _and_ the gnome error).

Gnome error is:

Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60800000

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

benh at gaston:~$ xprop -root | grep XKB
_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "macintosh", "fr", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "macintosh", "fr", "", ""
benh at gaston:~$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb
 layouts = [fr]
 model = macintosh
 overrideSettings = false
 options = []