X.Org Foundation Official Release of X Window System X11R6.8.1

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 18 22:02:21 PDT 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 23:32, Daniel Stone wrote:

[...]

>Um, the only thing that changed between 6.8.0 and 6.8.1, aside from
>cosmetic version bumping stuff, was that a security issue in libXpm
> was fixed -- no other code was changed, deliberately.

Then why is my cursor working fine now?  It worked fine with 6.8.0
too, but the build from the web page file brough back all the
irritations of old WRT the cursor thing.

>> >This is very odd, and I'm wondering if there isn't something else
>> > going on here (since multiple people are reporting this
>> > problem). Could you verify with the md5sums that you have the
>> > correct versions downloaded?

I rest my case by your own statement.

>> >I've just re-verified that the versions on x.org, fdo and the
>> > ones I have here locally are identical.  I've just finished
>> > building and installing the release here, and have now verified
>> > that the release version is 6.8.1 and the date is 17 September
>> > 2004.
>>
>> The one from www.freedesktop.org logs in as 6.8.  I have no idea
>> what this ftp.x.org version will log in as.  From my
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log, while running the build from the web page
>> downloaded file "xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz":
>>
>> X Window System Version 6.8.0
>> Release Date: 8 September 2004
>> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8
>> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 i686 [ELF]
>> Current Operating System: Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.6.9-rc1-mm5 #4
>> Thu Sep 16 01:20:31 EDT 2004 i686
>>
>> Now, while 6.8 was installed first, the xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz has
>> been installed over it 4 times now trying to get a 6.8.1 login out
>> of it.
>
>The tarballs were updated rather quickly to fix that; edit
>xc/config/cf/xorgsite.cf (I think -- maybe xorg.cf?) and change
>XORG_MINOR_VERSION to 1.

I don't think that would fix the sluggish cursor, and you know it
won't I expect.  The one from ftp.x.org did fix it.

>> Comment: We seriously need the startup log to include the build
>> date, this things been rebuilt 4 or 5 times since the 8th, but
>> there appears to be no info in the log that could prove it.
>
>You can do this by generating a build date - run:
>egrep -i 'build.*date' config/cf/*

That really should be made part of the make World, or its wrapper
script.  I presume it doesn't do any good of course after the fact of
the build.

Would a "make clean", do that, and a new "make World && make install"
fix it?

>Debian does this, for one.  You just need to generate the build date
>first.
>
>> I saved this unsent, logged out of X, unpacked, built and
>> installed the one from ftp.x.org, and finally, after several days,
>> it logs on like this: (no ipv6 stuff running here, I'm behind at
>> least 2 firewalls)
>>
>> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
>> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for
>> inet6/coyote.coyote.den:0 _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners:
>> failed to open listener for inet6
>
>It's just a warning, don't worry about it.

I wasn't.  I could give you my verizon ip address, but you cannot find
a machine there with nmap or satan.

>> So do us _all_ a favor, please kill the obviously bogus
>> xorg-6.8.1-src.tar.gz on the web server, and copy the one from
>> ftp.x.org to it and relink it for downloading.  The one on the web
>> page might as well be a copy of 6.7 from the way it runs.  In
>> short, "Its dead, Jim".
>
>There are no code differences between the file on ftp.x.org and the
> one on freedesktop.org.  Repeate, no code differences.

The running results and general 'feel' are different enough here to be
obvious Daniel.  I was dead serious when I wrote the above, there is
a working, you can see it and feel it, difference.  I don't know
where or what but I suppose I could unpack the other and compare the
srcs if I knew what proggy could compare the two tree's in one swell
foop.  It would need to be something that keeps on going and reports
all differences.  Humm, maybe diff itself could do that.  I presume
it has switches that will make it scan the whole tree.  Tommorrow
when I'm awake I'll look into that.

>> In the meantime, anybody without the above 6.8.1 logon in your
>> Xorg.0.log, should nuke what they have and go get the one from
>> ftp.x.org.  From this viewport, I *think* its the right, true
>> 6.8.1.
>
>If you don't care whether you see '6.8.1, released on 8th September
>2004' (paraphrased), or '6.8.1, released on 15th September 2004', I
>honestly wouldn't bother.  Yes, it was my snafu, but I don't think
> it was horrifically tragic, nor did it have anything to do with the
> laggy cursor thing, which I'd venture has more to do with hardware
> or something.
>
>X releases are hard, let's go shopping,

Shopping?  I had a celebratory 6 pack of suds in mind, but it would
take me 3 days to drink it without help. :-)  Any faster and it would
run my sugar up. :(

Cheers & many thanks for some great software to the whole crew.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)