X.Org Foundation Official Release of X Window System X11R6.8.1

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Sat Sep 18 13:02:35 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 07:15:56PM +0200, René Rebe wrote:
> Hm - strange. The automated rebuild in my cluster (fresh untar of
> course) installed a binary claiming to be 6.8.0 ... :-( I review this
> later (need to do some other work right now).

Okay.  Sounds good.  If you figure out what's going on here, please let
us know.

> >The link supplied in the announcement was not world readable for
> >several hours after the announcement.  I, like I suspect a lot of
> >other people, got a "no right to read this file" message.
>
> Exactly this problem is what I described. No personal offence Martin,
> you do a great job! I just wanted to mention it in this thread ...

No problem.  I'm wondering if something happened to fd.o that caused the
errors or if it was a caching problem.  When the new files were put into
place, it looks like several people were still trying to grab the
pre-release source files instead of the final release files (from the
apache logs).  Just want to know if there is a way to make sure that
this is not a problem in the future.  If anyone has any ideas, please
let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin