AMD64 Xorg Help Needed

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Thu Sep 16 18:33:54 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 05:00:45PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:

> The moderator on the Linux forum, Ben, is generally quite responsive.
> Be prepared to hear a whole lot of nothing if you ask anything about
> open source though.

I think this is a company wide policy now.  "Well, such a policy works
for NVIDIA, so, let's follow in their footsteps..."

> Here's a ranting post on the topic of open source support from
> runderwo. The original subject was "TV out with a G550".

I forgot to mention in that rant that we wanted BIOS information too
(the "PINS" structures).  Since there is no other way to find out the
configuration of the matrox cards besides the data it writes into the
shadowed copy of the BIOS, and very few people have the more esoteric
configurations like the 4-way G200s and various DVI/VGA combinations on
G450/G550, we get to guess at what the sensible values indicating each
configuration would be and let the users shoulder the testing.

Developer laziness isn't the only reason why open source QA sucks, at
least on the hardware side of things.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>