X11R6.8.1 released

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 07:14:24 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 09:16, Daniel Stone wrote:
>The X.Org Foundation is pleased to announce X11R6.8.1, the latest
>stable release of X.Org, the X standard implementation.
>
>This version is purely a security release, addressing multiple
> integer and stack overflows in libXpm, the X Pixmap library; all
> known versions of X (both XFree86 and X.Org) are affected, so all
> users of X are strongly encouraged to upgrade.  Vendors should have
> patches available for their versions of X.
>
>The CVE numbers for these vulnerabilities are CAN-2004-0687 (integer
>overflows) and CAN-2004-0688 (stack overflows).
>
>For the 6.8.1 release, two choices have been provided -- the
> standard set of seven tarballs, and a single tarball.
>
>If you download the traditional split tarballs, the first three
> contain everything except the fonts and general X11 documentation.
> Those three are sufficient for building X11R6.8 if you already have
> a set of fonts. The fourth and fifth contain the fonts.  The sixth
> contains the source for the general X11 documentation.  The seventh
> contains the general X11 documentation in hardcopy format.
>
>For the single tarball (xorg-6.8.0.tar.gz), everything described in
> the previous paragraph is available in the single tarball.
>
>Downloads are available from:
> http://freedesktop.org/~xorg/X11R6.8.1/src/

So far, its been 3 days since I built and installed 6.8, absolutely no
problems so far, and several loooong standing bugs have been stomped,
thank you very much guys & gals.

Re: the security fix release:
Gee, its nice, there is even a patch we could apply IF anybody had
access rights to other than reading the directory contents.  But I've
tried 2 difference browsers now, and been denied access both times,
to both the patch, and the 50+ megabyte tar.gz.

Can this be fixed?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)