Is X11R6.8 officially released?

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Mon Sep 13 05:28:01 PDT 2004

on Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:11:27 -0700 (PDT) Bryce Harrington <bryce at osdl.org>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Roland Mainz wrote:

>> > Well, go to the x.org website for a start:
>> >
>> > http://www.x.org/
>> >
>> > I hope I won't have to tell you to click on 'Latest Release'? ;-)
>>
>> The slightly annoying part is that there seem to be no release
>> annoucements, neither here in the mailinglist nor in the usual places
>> such as news:comp.windows.x ... ;-/
>
>Perhaps this suggests that each of us should put out announces to our
>own networks?  It sounds like no such 'central xorg marketing dept'
>exists, so maybe we have to do it through normal grassroots work
>instead.

This distribution was broader than for R6.7. No complaints were heard. I've
heard enough to know what's necessary next time. But we did have complaints
about broadcasting to non-X.Org lists!

X.Org benefits greatly from a single official announcement.

Please submit list names which should receive these announcements. We did
distribute to about 160 news organizations, etc.

Leon