[Unichrome-devel] New libXvMC wrapper.

Thomas Hellstrom unichrome at shipmail.org
Sat Sep 11 00:24:38 PDT 2004

Hi, Terry!

The way OpenGL does this is to query the X server "which driver should I
load?". That would have been the best. Unfortunately this is not part of
the very incomplete XvMC X protocol.

The problem to be solved (for future compatibility) is the following:
1. Is the X server local? If not, best for now is to shut down.
2. What is the name of the XvMC Driver? One option would be to load in
turn a number of known drivers and try to create a context. This will
most likely fail if the wrong driver is used.

Right now the wrapper is quite verbose when it fails so at least a
mailing list should be able to tell what's wrong, but I agree with you,
it would have been better to do it automatically. I was out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

/Thomas