Xorg 6.8.0 intel i855 - dual head configuration

Robert Wittek omacs at wittek.org
Fri Sep 10 10:55:30 PDT 2004

Hello list,

I have installed Xorg 6.8.0 on an Acer Travelmate 290 Lci notebook.
It is a centrino machine with an i855 graphics device. Kernel is
2.6.8 from gentoo.

I am trying to get xinerama working, so that my desktop is displayed
on the internal notebook display and on my external tft. For this
purpose I use the following xorg.conf file (only relevant portions
posted, the whole file can be found at www.wittek.org/xorg.conf).

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel i855 external"
	Driver		"i810"
	Option		"SWCursor"		"true"
	Option		"MonitorLayout"		"LFP,CRT"
	Option		"VBERestore"		"true"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		0
EndSection
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel i855"
	Driver		"i810"
	Option		"SWCursor"		"true"
	Option		"MonitorLayout"		"LFP,CRT"
	Option		"VBERestore"		"true"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
	Screen		1
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"notebook lfp"
	HorizSync	30-65
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Flatron L1811B"
	HorizSync	30-65
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"notebook"
	Device		"Intel i855"
	Monitor		"notebook lfp"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"desktop"
	Device		"Intel i855 external"
	Monitor		"Flatron L1811B"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"desktop"
	Screen		"notebook" RightOf "desktop"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
	InputDevice	"Generic Mouse"
EndSection

When I try to start X with startx the following error messages
appear:

(EE) I810(0): Failed to switch to monitor configuration (0x108)
(EE) I810(0): Please check the devices specified in your MonitorLayout
(EE) I810(0): is configured correctly.
(EE) I810(1): Failed to setup second head due to primary head failure.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

The log file can be found at www.wittek.org/xlog.

The configured modes for the displays all work in single head setup.
I have to use SWCursor or X freezes even in single head
configurations.

I tried to swap the devices in the Screen sections and changing
"LFP,CRT" to "CRT,LFP" to no avail.

Any hints on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert Wittek