running ident on modular xorg tree

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Sep 9 07:17:38 PDT 2004

Jon,

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 18:26, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Pick whatever rules you want. Now is just a good time to run indent so
> that we don't mess up the CVS change logs. The refactoring has already
> toasted the change histories so nothing is lost. This opportunity
> doesn't happen every day.

The refactoring will not toast the change histories.  We are
certainly preserving the CVS histories on files.

And we will *not* be doing this blindly over the source pool;
only on egregious offenders.

First thing to determine is what "X Window System" indenting
style is, and to get it documented on the web site.
As Alan says, there is a predominant style, not
that I can currently describe it off the top of my head.

And, by the way, if subsystems are already consistent in some
other style, that doesn't mean we should re-indent them.

I believe the only things that should be cleaned up are places
where the style is all screwed up inside a single subsystem/file
so that the code is actually hard to maintain.

I don't want to see any of these changes checked in until there
is pretty good agreement on what is going to get done.

			- Jim