Problems with 904

Marek Wawrzyczny marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 7 22:17:24 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am running gentoo system on a Toshiba Tecra S1 (Radeon M9000 video card). I
emerged (installed) XOrg build 904 on a 2.6.7 kernel (KDE 3.3 compiled under
a earlier XOrg installation) - works fine.
I've recently tried to upgrade to kernel 2.6.8.1 and have had display
weirdness. The screen occasionally flickers to black and back (seems to be at
more or less regular intervals of several minutes) and has frozen on me once.
On shutdown I once had a strange screen flicker system did not restart, and at
other occasions system freeze.
To me this seems to be more of a kernel issue (as the system continues to work
fine under 2.6.7) but should I recompile XOrg and KDE under the new kernel?
Advice appreciated...

Cheers,

Marek Wawrzyczny