when you start X and the monitor is completly turned of the frequenties are wrong

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Sep 7 11:43:55 PDT 2004

On Maw, 2004-09-07 at 20:40, Lee Revell wrote:
> Ok.  Any idea what that other OS does?  It seems to do the right thing,
> and I have never had it blow up a monitor, but maybe I was just lucky.

Last time I poked at this was a while ago but it depended on the card
vendor and the abilities of the card. It ranged from outright ignorance
of DDC and user selected modes through automatic response at runtime
(including to 90% rotation of the display)

Without DDC and user information to the contrary all you know is that
640x480 at 60Hz is safe.

Alan