when you start X and the monitor is completly turned of the frequenties are wrong

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Sep 6 23:46:33 PDT 2004

Patrick McFarland wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:58:45 +0200, Kristof Vansant <de_lupus at pandora.be> wrote:
>
>>When you start X and the monitor is completly turned of the frequenties
>>are wrong. Is there no way to let X detect that I turn on my monitor so
>>that it then scans for the right frequenties? Even after X is already
>>started. Or when I switch monitors for example without restarting X.
>

> Its wrong because it couldnt grab the DDC information. AFAIK there is
> no way around this.

If you do that often and don't swap monitor too often, you can specify
the monitor's frequencies in your config file.

Also since you're using some xdm variant, you can just kill the X server
displaying the login widget at a low resolution with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace,
once you see it (and thus have your monitor powered on :-) and it will
restart with correct DDC data.