Vendor support (was Re: The ati petition)

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 19:23:20 PDT 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 20:27, Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> http://unichrome.sf.net
>>> http://www.via.com.tw
>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I think it was mentioned elsewhere that this is NDA only.
>
> The drivers are open source.  Are you saying we should make a
> distinction between open source drivers written under NDA and open
> source drivers written from freely available docs?

Actually yes. Now, of course, it is very nice to have Open Source drivers,
but availability of documentation is very important too - it allows for
easy influx of new people. Not to mention the fact that support for more
esoteric features will happen faster if there is easy access to
documentation.

                             best

                               Vladimir Dergachev