The ati petition

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 3 08:53:22 PDT 2004

> One things for sure, the present situation (and you are holding nvidia
> up as a shineing example, erroniously so IMO) has become intolerable

I don't. Personally, I want fully Open Source drivers and Nvidia is very
far from this.

> for the user, who either breaks his system trying to install the
> nvidia stuff, or suffers thru the intolerably slow drivers we do
> have.  ATM I have an ATI designed card installed, replacing an nvidia
> that broke, and took the motherboard out as it did so.  An nvidia
> card that never was right from the gitgo 2 years ago.
>
> I'm sick of being treated as third class citizens in the video dept by
> all the vendors peddling such gear just because we're allergic to
> windoze.  The petition seemed to be somewhat better than a poke in
> the eye with a sharp stick, so I signed it.
>
>>        I strongly suggest the writer of the petition to read
>> through (if he or she has not done so already) the following link:
>>
>> http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/vendor_relationships_paper.html
>>
>>        Also, it is important to note that Precision Insight (and,
>> in particular, Frank La Monica) had big problems persuading ATI to
>> release specs to allow 3d support for Rage128 and Radeons and
>> undoing the history of angry e-mails demanding documentation and
>> flat refusals to provide it.
>
> And then we should see some 3d support for radeons at some point?

Radeons, up to 8500 (i.e R200/RV250) *do* have 3d support. The question of
Open Source drivers for R300 and later cards depends on cooperation of FOSS
developers. And it could appear faster if ATI is being *politely* asked to
speed up the process by providing additional documentation.

I reacted to the petition because it is dangerously into a "bread and
entertainment" stage - Slashdot discussion suffers from this too.