pointer grabs should time out

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Sep 2 04:47:05 PDT 2004

Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> I encountered a problem again today that has hit me several times over
> the years; pointer grab by an X11 client that crashes. This has the
> potential to take down the entire session. It happened to me when I used
> acroread and selected a pull down menu, when it immediately crashed
> after grabbing the pointer.
>
> Shouldn't pointer grabs automatically time out after a given period of
> time? This is a serious issue which can make a casual user believe the
> entire server has crashed.

Any scheme would have to work with apps like q3 which grab the pointer for
long periods and do no interaction with the X server in the meantime.

You'd expect that the X server would notice when the network connection to the
client is broken & revoke the grab at that point - I'd be suprised if it
doesn't already - so I wonder why you're seeing this behaviour...

Keith