X performance on mini-itx boards

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Thu Sep 2 01:30:19 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:38:57AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 03:26, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:43:16PM +0100, Hamie wrote:
> > > What sort of performance on the VIA mini-itx boards can be expected with
> > > XOrg? Is there hardware acceleration available for these boards? WHat
> > > sort of fps can you get with glxgears at default size?
> >
> > I have found fanless VIA ME-6000 perfectly adequate for 2D work.
>
> The current 2D driver has some recently identified problems, where
> excessive 2D engine activity (dragging around the mplayer window) would
> completely stall the PCI bus, with the symptoms that interrupt handlers
> can be delayed for arbitrary lengths of time, leading to audio (and
> probably other) problems.

[...]

I have yet to see any of these.
The small number of machines already deployed are only used for word
processing, web browsing and typical office work, which may help.

This may change if some extension to efficiently play video streams
remotely is introduced, but for now the X11 or RDP protocols aren't
efficient enough...

--
Francois Tigeot