Fixing the mess that is XvMC?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Fri Oct 29 11:22:29 PDT 2004

Donnie Berkholz <spyderous at gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 10:00 -0700, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> > It seems to me that the best solution to this problem would be for the
> > libXvMC library to make a call to the X driver to retrieve the name of
> > the client side vendor library to use (just like Windows does for OpenGL
> > ICD drivers). Then the libXvMC library could abstract all this away from
> > the client programs and take care of this by automatically using dlopen()
> > on the appropriate vendor library at runtime, without the client programs
> > having to do or know anything about the chipset specific vendor
> > libraries.
> >
> > Since this does not exist at present, I would like to work on making this
> > happen. Since I am not familiar with how to write a private interface
> > between the client code and the X driver, can someone help me write the
> > interface code to pass the client library name back from the X driver?
>
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-September/003085.html and the
> rest of the thread may interest you.

Yes, I read that, but none of this seems to have been accepted into the
mainline code tree. I agree with what others were saying - we need the X
driver to report back to the libXvMC library what client side chipset
specific module to load.

I have to make this work, so I am willing to work on making it happen. I
would like to revise things in such a way that it will work properly with
existing drivers (well I guess just the NVIDIA driver anyway, since that
is the only driver that is really in use in binary form - the i810 driver
can be modified to work with the new system).

Who else is interested in working on this? Should we set up a working
group, or should I just go ahead and do it and submit my patches ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~