Fixing the mess that is XvMC?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Fri Oct 29 10:00:56 PDT 2004

Hi Guys,

We are working on an XvMC driver for a customer of ours, and have run
into a bit of a snag. As it stands right now it appears the work on
libXvMC was never really completed. The current X.org 6.8.1 code base
includes sample code for the Intel i810 (not sure if it works on the i830
and later chipsets or not) which is split across back end driver code
that handles surface allocation and a front end chipset specific client
library.

The problem is that client applications that wish to use XvMC must link
aginst both the libXvMC library *AND* one of the client specific
libraries (libI810XvMC and libNVIDIAXvMC* etc). Having client
applications link to hardware specific client libraries has caused major
problems with deploying applications in binary form that work with XvMC
out of the box. The end result is that although both MPlayer and Xine
both support XvMC in the players, neither of them have it enabled by
default and it is quite a chore to figure out how to enable it for your
specific machine.

It seems to me that the best solution to this problem would be for the
libXvMC library to make a call to the X driver to retrieve the name of
the client side vendor library to use (just like Windows does for OpenGL
ICD drivers). Then the libXvMC library could abstract all this away from
the client programs and take care of this by automatically using dlopen()
on the appropriate vendor library at runtime, without the client programs
having to do or know anything about the chipset specific vendor
libraries.

Since this does not exist at present, I would like to work on making this
happen. Since I am not familiar with how to write a private interface
between the client code and the X driver, can someone help me write the
interface code to pass the client library name back from the X driver?

Finally I will need CVS access to get this code into the X.org
repository, so who do I see about getting access?

Thanks!

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~