xdm, twm, and others use /etc/

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Oct 19 15:48:32 PDT 2004

Some distributions have customized XFree86 or Xorg to allow using configs
from /etc. I help maintain xorg-clients (and other packages) for NetBSD.

I patched:
programs/xdm/Imakefile
programs/xdm/xdm.man
programs/xdm/config/Imakefile
programs/xdm/config/xdm-conf.cpp

The patching does:

- the xdm.pid would be stored under VarRunDirectory.

- the libXdmGreet.so is located under USRLIBDIR.

- chooser is located in BINDIR

- xdm pixmaps located under $(INCDIR)/X11/pixmaps

- example configs (and xdm scripts) saved to an examples directory

- XDMAUTHDIR is set to XDMVARDIR

Are there any plans to improve xc/programs/ to use a different config
directory (defaulting to under /etc)?

Or should this just wait until xdm is ported to use automake and autoconf?

Is anyone working on xdm for automake and autoconf? (What is the project
or module name that would have the new xdm?)

I know that you can choose a different xdm-config from the xdm command
line, but defaulting to /etc seems better.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/