Retrieving config filename.

Sun Oct 17 09:08:11 PDT 2004

Ben Skeggs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there an X request or even an Xlib call which can be used to discover
> the location of the config file being used by the X server.  I am trying to
> write a control panel interface to various things related to the X server,
> and with XFree/Xorg and whatever other X servers there are around,
> guessing the current config file might be a little difficult.

It would be very difficult to have such a request or call - you don't know
that you can access the filesystem of the runnning X server (what if you're
displaying remotely), what format it's config file is in (while XFree86 &
Xorg use a common format, there are others - Xsun on Solaris is very
different for instance) or even if there is a config file (XFree86 4.4 &
Xorg can autoconfigure and run without a config file, one can imagine a
Windows X server storing configuration in the registry instead of a config,
etc.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com