moving windows between servers

Jay Cotton Jay.Cotton at Sun.COM
Thu Oct 14 15:06:09 PDT 2004

Greg Watson wrote:

> Hi Jay,
>
> Well when I try to run Xinerama everything works ok except for two issues.
>
> Issue 1:
> 	Slow - 4480x1200 over AGP + PCI bus runs 25-50% of CPU on a Dual Xeon
> 2.8GHz w/ HT  Often times I have to wait for drop down menus to draw and
> dragging windows between displays leaves a long trail.

uh, does it clean up after itself, or leave the 'trail'.  I expect it to
be slower, since in your case you have 3 rendering windows.

Well, I can setup a system and take a look at it.  I recall the Mark V. did
a lot of work on the window id's.  That should have fixed most of the performance
'issues'.

> Issue 2:
> 	OpenGL apps don't work correctly because of needed setup.  For example.
>
> I have the follow setup:
>
> LCD: 19" 24" 19"
> Head: 2   0   1
>
> Per docs, xinerama currently only supports opengl on head 0.  That would
> be great except that when opengl apps try to run full screen, they try
> to place the windows in logical position 0x0.  That puts the window on
> head 2, +0+0.  That won't work...I needed head 0, +0+0 for it to work.
> This isn't a window manager issue as I have tested with windowed apps
> and it works well.

This is a real killer here.  OpenGL has a rendering back end pipeline that
is attached to each graphics board.  The apps don't know how to switch
from one pipe to another.  One way to do this is render to all the pipes
at the same time and let window clipping clean up the mess.  This works
mostly.  Tends to use lots of cpu since you render even if the window
is obscured.

> I will look into BigX.  I guess what I was looking for is some app like
> "screen" for X.

Well BigX is an app/window manager of sorts.  I don't know if its still
around.

	 Jay Cotton 		     Jay.Cotton at sun.com
	 MPK17-2348    x80841
	 Sun Microsystems Inc. - X11 Server Group
	 Operating Platform Group