small xcompmgr patch and question

Ralph Thomas ralpht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:06:24 PDT 2004

Jochen Baier <jochen.baier at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> Question: is it possible to translucent only a part/clipping of a window
> ? for example the border and the title of the window should stay solid.
>
> or an on screen notification (icq...) could translucent a part of the
> toplevel window with same special fade effects...
>
> (this should be possible with a client program not xcompmgr)

Only the compositing manager would be able to draw that, but you could
define a property on your window which needs to be drawn in a special way
and get xcompmgr (or whatever you use) to then do the special drawing (so
for your example, you could have a property set which is a Pixmap of the
alpha channel for your window).

Currently I don't think there is any agreed upon standard for such properties
(like there is with the ICCCM or NETWM).

Ralph