libXau shared?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 12 14:08:23 PDT 2004

Around 15 o'clock on Oct 12, Adam Jackson wrote:

> You must not build static libraries without -fPIC.  On amd64 (and others), any
> code that may find its way into a DSO must be built -fPIC.  It's perfectly
> legal to include objects from an ar archive in a DSO (as a trivial example,
> consider 'ld --whole-archive').

I'd rather discourage people from embedding one library in another; it
makes rather a nasty mess of licenses for one thing, and leads to
bug-propogation for another as suddenly a bug in one library is silently
translated into a bug for another.  If people want to do this, they're
welcome to break their own systems, I just don't think we should make it
easy.

> I know the Debian shared lib policy says static libs must not use -fPIC, but
> the Debian policy is wrong.

To some extent, we have some obligation to listen to our "customers", of
which Debian is one, and I think this policy springs from reasonable
desires.

-keith