README files invisible on http://freedesktop.org

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Oct 12 11:29:55 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Felix [ISO-8859-1] Kühling wrote:

> Is there something in the httpd configuration that makes README files
> invisible in directory listings? Why would anyone want to hide README
> files?

Yes, it is normal in default Apache HTTP configuration. See:

 # ReadmeName is the name of the README file the server will look for by
 # default, and append to directory listings.
 #
 # HeaderName is the name of a file which should be prepended to
 # directory indexes.
 ReadmeName README.html
 HeaderName HEADER.html

 #
 # IndexIgnore is a set of filenames which directory indexing should ignore
 # and not include in the listing.  Shell-style wildcarding is permitted.
 #
 IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t

Probably the IndexIgnore needs to be fixed.

(I had same problem on one of my servers.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/