Linux: 2.4.28-pre4, No More New Features For 2.4

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 10:02:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:40:36 -0700, Ian Romanick <idr at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Given that, it seems reasonable to not implement drm-core for 2.4.  If
> we need to apply bug fixes to 2.4, we'll just have to figure out how to
> back-port them to the old arch.

Backporting shouldn't be too hard since the card specific code is
mostly untouched, it's the base driver code that is completely
changed. If we only backport fixes and not new features the work
should be minimal.

Is drm-core good enough for the kernel yet? Are more than five people
using it? At some point we need to bless DRM core as the 2.6 platform.
After that happens I'll remove all of the 2.4 compatibility hooks from
it. Those hooks generate considerable clutter in the code.

I could also remove the linux-2.6 directory from CVS which will force
all 2.6 CVS users onto the drm-core code. That would create some more
testers.

What is the decision for BSD? Is it going to track drm-core or stay
with the old model? If it stays with the old model it will have to use
the 2.4 shared files. The DRM() macros are gone in the shared-core
directory so the only way to use that code is for BSD to also use the
core model.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com