Xorg version number change

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 10 23:33:12 PDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 01:13, Daniel Stone wrote:

>> > So we soft-link all the directories to each other.  That's so
>> > cool. Very compelling argument for having them.
>>
>> The link /usr/X11/ should link to the current version being in
>> use. That allows an admin to have more than one tree and switch
>> betweenm active version just via changing the soft link.
>
>Is this the usual case?  Should we be designing the default case
> around this?  I dare say no.

>> > Oh man, no.  Why?
>>
>> Ask the original designers of the code... :)
>
>That's not a valid reason -- if it can't be justified for any
> reasons other than historic, then it can't be justified.  Of
> course, we have to consider the weight of inertia wrt current
> behaviour, but since we're changing anyway, we have to look at
> justifications for every option. And so far I've only seen one
> justification for /usr/X11R7, and that's not, IMO, a very good one
> (should we do $HOME/install/x, as I have on some of my machines?).
>
>> > For starters, I don't think this tree should even exist.  But if
>> > we take it for granted that it must exist for some strange
>> > reason, why must we include the version number in it?
>> >
>> > GTK isn't installed to /usr/gtk+-2.4.
>> > GNOME isn't installed to /usr/gnome2.8.
>>
>> ... and GTK and Gnome are also known for other "good" design
>> choices... =:-)
>> Really... both _should_ live in /usr/gnome/ like all good Unix
>> citizen.
>
>We fundamentally disagree here.  I think the design choices made by
> GTK in terms of how it installs and behaves wrt installation
> (pkg-config, /usr, et al) are the best ones that anyone has yet
> made.
>
>According to you, the only real 'good Unix citizen(s)' are things
> like iPlanet, which still hang on to /usr/foo.
>
>You should read what the Filesystem Heirachy Standard has to say on
> this some day.
>
>> > KDE isn't installed to /usr/kde3.3.
>>
>> Happily lives under /opt/kde/ in SuSE and most other Linux
>> versions (or /usr/kde/ on Solaris) ...
>
>Does not do so under Debian or Red Hat.  I believe it does not do so
>under Slackware or most other distributions, either.
>
>> > xterm isn't installed to /usr/xterm-0.94.
>>
>> BAD example as "xterm" is part of the X11 suite.
>
>No, because it has a completely independent upstream (Thomas Dickey)
> who distributes his own tarballs, and many people favour these
> tarballs over the xterm included in the standard X11 distribution.
>
>> > Apache isn't installed to /usr/apache-1.3.29.
>>
>> It's /usr/apache/ here (Solaris) ...
>
>This isn't the case as default in the build system, nor is it the
> case on almost all other systems than Solaris.
>
>> > To take the example of a proprietary UNIX suite par excellence;
>> > last time I checked, iPlanet installed to /usr/netscape, not
>> > /usr/netscape-iplanet-x.x.x.  So, even in the most abhorrent
>> > case of there being a separate subdirectory under /usr (why?
>> > why? why?), there is no way known the version number should be
>> > playing a part.

> [...]

If I can throw an oar in the water here Daniel, I'm rather enchanted
by the softlink pointing to the version to run if more than one
version is installed.  This will give us the ability to run the
bleeding edge stuff, report any problems, change the link and go back
to the old faithfull version all in about 10 minutes or less.

If this gets to be a habit, or is a problem for the gui's, let kde,
gnome et all query the link somehow to see what version is present in
case they want to throw more eye candy at the user of the latest
version.  Each of them can then put in those few lines of code to set
their environment vars and be ready for when you switch to a simple
link of /usr/X11 in your next release.

In that event, it would be very nice if the logfile was named a bit
differently between the versions, or included the version number, so
that if an outright crash or ?? required a full reboot and restart to
the old faithfull version before its functional enough to send an
email, the logfile for the failed version was still available after
the reboot.  Since your logfile isn't in the log rotation, I don't
see that as a problem...

This makes sense to this old fart*, and would tend to encourage me to
bleed a bit more profusely from time to time.  I've been known to do
it before, but this would make the recovery a heck of a lot easier
for a service thats so important to the day to day operations of the
users desktop.  I have the disk space to play with, so thats not a
problem.  Until I cleaned house in /root last week, I had 4 versions
of kde installed, but mkde3.3 has been stable, so the rest got used
for a game of space patrol.  But, this isn't exactly a sacrificial
box, its my day to day box too, which makes easy recovery a
desireable thing(tm).

*Old fart: Officially turned 70 last monday...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)