Xorg version number change

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 10 18:27:27 PDT 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Daniel Stone wrote:

> Oh man, no.  Why?
>
> For starters, I don't think this tree should even exist.  But if we take
> it for granted that it must exist for some strange reason, why must we
> include the version number in it?
>
> GTK isn't installed to /usr/gtk+-2.4.
>
> GNOME isn't installed to /usr/gnome2.8.
>
> KDE isn't installed to /usr/kde3.3.

I often install kde like this:
      /usr/local/kde-3.3/

And make a symlink: /usr/local/kde

This helps to use multiple trees at the same time. Admittedly I have not
done this in a while - KDE has gotten so stable that I rarely compile all
of it myself.

> xterm isn't installed to /usr/xterm-0.94.
>
> Apache isn't installed to /usr/apache-1.3.29.

Well, Tcl/Tk installs its shells like this:

      /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.3

Also, there is a packaging system called "stow" that allows to store
each package in a separate directory and only put symlinks to executables
in /usr/bin/ .

                        best

                          Vladimir Dergachev