newbie problems installing...

Jakob Nickerson roddimus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:25:00 PDT 2004

I actually, have a bunch of problems that may have stacked up on this
one.  After finally running X -configure it created a xorg.conf file
that I was able to put in my /etc/X11/ directory (I didn't have one
right after install) and I got that, there were a bunch of problems,
I'll put the file at the bottom.  Basically, when running the .conf,
and when running startx it would tell me that it couldn't find my
mouse, which isn't too big of a problem, so i modified the .conf file
and did some stuff and now my system locks up whenever x is started,
well, sortof locks up, I can't use the monitor, keyboard, and mouse
attached to it, as it will only show me a balnk screen, with nothing,
like ctrl + alt + f1-6, backspace, SysRq + k, r, q working, but i can
ssh in and look around.   I suppose I am quite confused.  Though I am
slightly better off right now, having done nothing, than last night as
my error log is showing things as opposed to 1 line of "^@^@^@"
repeated.

Here's the files, in summary, starting x freezes up my computer, i can
ssh in and do stuff,m but can't do things at the computer. Here are
the files:

xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
#       Load  "record"
#       Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
#       Load  "freetype"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                    # [<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"                # <i>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
#       BusID       "PCI:0:17:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultColorDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     1
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     4
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     8
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     15
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
#        SubSection "Display"
#                Depth     24
#               Virtual 1600 1200
#        EndSubSection
EndSection

Here's the end of the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbModel: "pc101"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: XkbLayout: "us"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard0: CustomKeycodes disabled
(WW) No core pointer registered
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.X.Org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional informa$

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

FatalError re-entered, aborting
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting