Xlib Docs and/or How do I tell my WM to hide borders and title bar...

Sergei Mutovkin msergei at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:38:20 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm writing my first ever program with Xlib, either I look in the
wrong places or there is no documentation with example available
anywhere (except the most basic stuff)... I wonder about some very
simple techniques...

1. I want to create full screen window that will be on top of any
other window...
from these 3 pages below I don't reall understand how I can do that...
what's more not a single example with comments...

http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/XCreateWindow.html
http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/XChangeWindowAttributes.html
http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/attributes/#XSetWindowAttributes.html

I hope it is not as painful as going through the X source code to
figure out how I should do this...

2.  How do I tell X to cache the graphics that I have drawn on the
screen, so that if something gets on top of my window, I will not have
re-draw everything after catching this event? (i.e. i don't want to
sit in a loop listening and checking if event to redraw has arrived).

3. xClock application if loaded with Render enabled X has anti-aliased
graphics... I wonder if anti-aliasing is achievable on simple graphics
function of Xlib like XDrawLine, etc?

4. By default XDrawString doesn't use Anti-aliasing on the fonts, how
would anyone go enabling it?

I hope I didn't ask too many questions to annoy people here... I feel
I'm ready to run and buy some book like "XLib In A Nutshell", if only
someone have ever written one :) It seems that the last book ever
written on Xlib was
http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/XChangeWindowAttributes.html
written 12 years ago and none of the bookstores I called nearby have it :(

Thank you,
Sergei