Xorg coding style (Was: Re: Radeon TV-in support in Xorg CVS.)

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 3 16:42:33 PDT 2004

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:36:02PM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>> It would really be nice if you explained to me why (off the list..) -
>> maybe there is something I am missing that will make my life better.
>>
>> Otherwise, lets just agree on a compromise: you are free to run indent if
>> you want to (and commit the result into the tree) and I am free to not use
>> your style as a way to express myself as I am really not comfortable with
>> it. I prefer to think about what I am coding and not how many spaces it
>> needs.
>
> Style complaints are not intended to impede your freedom of expression.

I did not mean this statement in this way, but rather more mildly - that
running ident is the best I can offer in this circumstance and that
hand-editing to achieve the same result will not make the code easier to
read.

> Having a consistent style for the project is necessary for other
> developers to be able to read and understand your code at a glance.
> This is a prerequisite for efficient distributed development.  Why not
> maintain and test your code locally in your own style, and run it
> through indent before committing it (ostensibly for others to hack on)?

That's what I would normally do, however, in this particular case I wanted
to achieve two goals:

      * bring the GATOS code in as little modified as possible
        - I hate having to catch obscure hardware issues that are
        due to a misprint

      * have something working to show people as early as possible
        (being able to release before Sunday was an additional
         bonus).

There are still files to be split up and code moved around - there was
much done to keep the code as self-contained as possible to ease porting
to new versions of XFree86 and this is not necessary now.

                         best

                            Vladimir Dergachev