sparse and DRM on non-x86

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 11:12:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:54:50 +0100, Keith Whitwell
<keith at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:

> >>The framebuffer lives in agp memory on those devices, presumably this is iomem
> >>as it appears to be memory of the agp device.
> >

> > On normal AGP/PCI cards the memory is on the card. It is accessed over
> > the AGP/PCI bus which requires special IO instructions on non-x86
> > hardware. IGP cards use the normal system memory for their buffers.
> > You don't use the special IO instructions to access this memory. The
> > key is where the memory lives, on the graphics card or on the
> > motherboard.
> >
> > On x86 both types of memory use the same access instructions since the
> > x86 makes AGP/PCI memory look like normal system memory. So we don't
> > have a problem.
>
> I understand this.  I'm pointing out that agp memory, ie. system memory mapped
> into the GART table, though it is backed by system memory, is typically
> accessed through an io range of the gart device.  So what sort of memory is that?

GART memory is system memory. The GART is used by the graphics chip to
access the main system memory. Accesses from the main CPU never travel
through the GART. Only memory access cycles initiated by the GPU use
the GART.

> For the Intel chipsets, again, although the framebuffer is backed by system
> memory, all accesses to that memory are through a device io memory range, not
> by reading/writing to the backing memory directly.

That's kind of odd, they must have a cache on the graphics chip and
that's how you keep it coherent. In this cause you would use the IO
instructions. Direct access to the memory from CPU is probably 10x
faster. For a clear/blit it would probably be better to directly
access the memory and then flush the cache.

What do the ATI chips do?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com