X configuration paradigm, and a proposal

Ted Kaminski kami0054 at umn.edu
Mon Nov 29 18:18:25 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 08:15, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Underway: Kristian Hogsberg is leading the charge, and I'm helping out.
> More help, as always, desirable.

After wondering why I haven't seen any of this on the list... Well...
Note to self: bugzilla is important. (For reference: bug 971)

> Shared projector systems have serious need for multiple simultaneous
> streams of input.
>
> I recently had a chance to play with the projector table at MERL, and we
> can expect similar such devices as commercial products over the next
> couple years; it provides a compelling demonstration of the need.

That's a really nifty gadget.

The DiamondTouch system can be interpreted in terms of multiple mice
(and multiple pointers) attached to one display, and that's probably the
best way to go for that particular system, since it associates each user
with a pointer.

So that requires getting rid of "core" devices (at least, allowing for
noncore devices and no core device), but what about other types of
devices? Or, in short, is there an ideological reason joysticks and
gamepads (for example) aren't handled by the X server, or did it just
never happen?

-Ted