CVS warnings

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Nov 28 14:21:27 PST 2004

Around 20 o'clock on Nov 28, Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Each time I commit to /srv/cvs.freedesktop.org/cvs/xorg/xc, I get
> warnings such as
>
>   cvs commit: warning: commitinfo line contains no format strings:
>       "/srv/cvs.freedesktop.org/cvs/xorg/CVSROOT/commitcheck"
>   Appending defaults (" %r/%p %s"), but please be aware that this usage is
>   deprecated.

> Is this anything to worry about?

Nope.  The CVS maintainers took it upon themselves to change the format
and semantics of this string and decided to annoy us with warning
messages about the old (now apparantly deprecated) format.

Given that conversion is not straightforward, I'm not personally inclined
to try and fix it; it appears to work fine, albiet with this annoying
message.  The correct fix, from my perspective, is to eliminate the
messages from CVS and leave existing repositories alone.

-keith