radeon MergedFB and vertical monitor offsets

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:54:16 PST 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:21:36 -0500, Keith Lea <keith at cs.oswego.edu> wrote:
> Hi, I'm using the radeon MergedFB mode to use dual monitors on my IBM
> T30 laptop with Radeon 7500 Mobile.
>
> I have a problem: my external monitor sits about 4 inches above my
> laptop LCD screen. So, for example, when I move my mouse to the right,
> onto the external monitor screen, the mouse jumps up 4 inches visually.
> It's disorienting for me.
>
> On Windows XP, you can drag around the screens to tell Windows where the
> monitors are physically located relative to each other. This makes it so
> when I move the mouse over to the second screen, it moves down 300
> pixels or so, but visually, it's at the same vertical location.
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to do this with MergedFB mode.

if you are talking about locking the viewports (so the frame doesn't
move within the virtual desktop), then, no.  there was a patch posted
a while back the locked the crtcs into position, but the mouse and
non-xinerama aware windows could still end up in the dead space.  The
other option is to run the same resolution on both heads so that the
viewport doesn't move.

Another option is to use "regular" dualhead + xinerama and then set up
the offsets in the serverlayout.

Alex