Automatic XvMC hardware driver loading.

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Tue Nov 23 09:47:02 PST 2004

Sorry I missed this post - CC's to me always end up in my mailing list
folder. I have got to fix that ;-)

Thomas Hellström <unichrome at shipmail.org> wrote:

> After some discussions with Kendall Bennet, I've posted a proposed
> solution to make XvMC automatically load the correct client driver.

Looks good to me!

> 4. If the extension is not available or the call fails, the
> wrapper will revert back to the library name found in
> <config_dir>/XvMCConfig, thus being compatible with earlier Nvidia
> drivers. After having read Alan Cox' latest post, maybe it should
> be better to have it parse the main X config file for an XvMC
> section?

I like putting it into the main X config file as well. Do you know how to
set this up?

> Also Kendall and me thought it would be best to incorporate the
> wrapper functionality into libXvMC but lauching "libXvMC2" or
> something similar being careful not to brake too many existing
> applications.

IMHO there are very few 'binary' applications in the field that will get
broken if we call this revised library libXvMC, because the existing
interface simply didn't work except for custom builds. It would be
cleaner to call it libXvMC, but if there are apps that would get broken
(that can't easily be fixed at the time of release) then we should go
with libXvMC2.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~