Composite really slow

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Nov 21 15:00:10 PST 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 17:17, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > It's all open source.  Someone just needs to find the time to port KAA
> > and the related driver bits to xorg.  Unfortunately, it's not a
> > trivial task.
>
> This may be a stupid question and let me clarify I've no idea about
> XAA or KAA and have never looked at either of them, but can XAA not be
> extended (incompatilbity maybe?) to be better at doing
> render/composite stuff,

No, not really.  To extend XAA to cover these cases well, we'd have to gut XAA
to not do all the stupid crap it currently does.

> I don't like the idea of rewriting drivers
> just because some interface is not up to the job....

There's not much rewriting involved.  Pretty much every driver can be split
along the line between the dumb fb core and the XAA hooks.  Two or three of
the XAA hooks are actually relevant to the workload X sees (even without
Composite), and they can be translated to a new AA without too much pain.

Think of it this way.  You don't have to rewrite a driver in order to add Xv
support, or DRI support.  You just add the code to do what Xv does, and hook
it in in the right places.  Same principle here, only we're also disabling
XAA in the process - which is already solved, Option "NoAccel" and don't
LoadSubModule(xaa).

- ajax