XTerm*termName: 'linux'

Martin martin.weissenborn at t-online.de
Sun Nov 21 02:26:33 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 08:29:13AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
> > I would like to instruct xterm to provide TERM=linux via a resource
> > object, but it silently refuses to do so. In contrast TERM=xterm-color
> > is accepted as *termName subobject. But vi & co then default to an
> > improper color scheme which seems hardly readable on a colors on black
> > display compared to colors used with a terminfo entry of 'linux'.
>
> Do you have termcap/terminfo entries for "linux"? xterm will ignore
> the termName setting if tgetent() can't find the specified terminal.

/usr/share/terminfo/l/linux does exist, as well as
/usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm*. I think xterm could refuse that termName
because it is different in name and does not follow the xterm* naming
scheme or because it supposes incompatibility with values from that
terminfo db entry. But that is, what I suppose. ;)

--
Martin Weißenborn