XKB error message with Xorg-6.8.1

Lorincz Andras andras.lorincz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 01:37:30 PST 2004

I've compiled xorg from cvs following the instructions on the cvs page
and I'm using gnome. The section about keyboard in xorg.conf looks like
this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
EndSection

There is no error message related to keyboard in Xorg.0.log and X works
fine, but an error message appears whenever I log in (I'm using gdm)
with the following text:

Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
60801099

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb

and xprop -root | grep XKB gives me:

_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", ""

and gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb:

layouts = [us]
 model = pc104
 overrideSettings = false
 options = []

actually  don't know why it says model = pc104 because I have pc105 in
xorg.conf. This same error message appears when I go to
Applications->Desktop Preferences->Keyboard and try to add keyboard layouts.

How could I fix this?