keysymdef.h

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 17 07:38:09 PST 2004

graeme wrote on 2004-11-17 12:39 UTC:
> I've been given a job for which I'm hopelessly under qualified, and was
> hoping that you'd be able to give me a few pointers. I want to add some
> fields to the keysymdef.h file. This will be to provide definitions for
> the Tibetan script.
>
> I'm fairly certain that I can manage that task, however what I don't
> know what to do is what needs to be compiled or run so that these
> #defines are picked up.

Read the comments at the top of

  http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xorg/xc/include/keysymdef.h?view=markup
  (also on: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/keysymdef.h )

which I revised 26 Sep 2004 to answer your question in detail.

If you make any extensions to keysymdef.h, please start from this CVS
head version, not from the old one in X11R6.8.1.

Please read also

  http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xorg/xc/doc/specs/XProtocol/X11.keysyms?view=markup
  (preformatted also on: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/X11.keysyms.pdf )

which is the corresponding update of the X11 protocol specification,
which officially introduces a mapping between Unicode and KEYSYMs.

Both the above freedesktop.org URLs are down at the moment, apparently
the X.Org site was HACKed :-(, but I hope should come back in a few
days.

Please understand that by adding entirely new keysyms means that you are
extending the X11 protocol, which requires updating the X11 standard,
not just editing a header file. However, we have now all of Unicode
already mapped into the keysym number space (just add 0x01000000 to the
Unicode value), so there is probably no need at all for you to add
anything new (except perhaps some new macro names) if you merely use
an existing Unicode character.

However, if you need correct uppercase/lowercase mapping, you may have
to check or extend xc/lib/X11/KeyBind.c as well.

Which Unicode range exactly do you require and what macro names are you
proposing?

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Lab, Univ of Cambridge, GB
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ | __oo_O..O_oo__