Patch to mouse accel code

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Nov 11 13:03:53 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 15:18 -0500, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 14 o'clock on Nov 11, Jim Gettys wrote:
>
> > It would be better if the algorithm was coded to avoid floating point,
> > if it isn't too hard.
>
> This isn't a performance problem; at 100Hz, any system should be able to
> execute a few software FP ops.

Yes, I don't think it is a huge deal.  Actually, integer/fp conversions
are often much slower than just a simple FP operation.

> As the existing X server arc and line
> drawing code requires FP, I don't see a problem with having the mouse code
> use it as well.

The X arc code that no applications use....

> That said, code which can easily avoid FP is always nicer.

Yup.  Exactly.

If we can't find equivalent integer code that is simple to understand,
I'm cool with doing it in FP...  Simple, understandable code is worth
a lot.

			- Jim